While we can help with resource navigation and emergency assistance, here is a list of other relevant resources in the Katahdin region and beyond. If you have questions about any resource, we’re happy to help. Please give us a call at (207) 370-1581.

Crisis resources

Health Care Resources:

If you are experiencing an emergency, please dial 9-1-1. For other non-emergency medical needs, contact local health care providers at:

General Assistance

General Assistance is a program run by the State of Maine and is available in every Maine town. It is a resource that helps those without other means to pay for basic necessities like food, utilities and rent. To apply for General Assistance, call the town office in the town where you are a resident and schedule an appointment with the General Assistance coordinator. Frequently asked questions about general assistance.

Food Resources

  • Eastern Area Agency on Aging | (207) 941-286
  • I Care Ministries (Millinocket) | (207) 447-1603
  • Tri Town Baptist Food Pantry (East Millinocket) | (207) 251-8674
  • UVEC Food Pantry (Sherman) | (207) 365-7631
  • Patten Food Cupboard (Patten) | (207) 731-4055
  • Agape Food Pantry (Island Falls) | (207) 463-2183

Rent & Utilities Assistance

Your local General Assistance department can help with rent and utilities, but here are some other relevant programs:


Penquis provides transportation services throughout Penobscot and Piscataquis counties. Rides are FREE for qualifying individuals (including residents of Millinocket, East Millinocket, and Medway thanks to Age-Friendly Millinocket), but anyone can access Penquis rides for a small fee. Ride requests must be made 3 days in advance. Learn more on their website or give them a call at (207) 973-3695 or (866) 853-5969. Need help getting started with Penquis? Mobilize Katahdin staff are happy to assist you. Give us a call at (207) 370-1581.

Legal Assistance

For free legal guidance, contact the Volunteer Lawyers Project, visit Pine Tree Legal’s website or call Pine Tree Legal at (207) 942-8241 (Penobscot/Piscataquis/Waldo Counties) or (207) 764-4349 (Aroostook County).



  • During tax season, you can pick up federal 1040 booklets and forms at Millinocket Memorial Library.
  • To order Maine income tax forms and have them mailed to your home, fill out this quick form on the Maine Revenue Service website.
  • You can also view and print the forms on the IRS website.

Tax Assistance:

  • AARP offers free tax preparation at the Millinocket Nazarene Church. Call for more information at (207) 746-7669.
  • To find another AARP tax preparation site near you, call (888) 227-7669.
  • Penquis/United Way offers a free tax preparation service called Eastern Maine CASH for qualifying individuals. Learn more by dialing 211 or on their website.

Recovery Resources