While we can help with resource navigation and emergency assistance, here is a list of other relevant resources in the Katahdin region and beyond. If you have questions about any resource, we’re happy to help. Please give us a call at (207) 370-1581.
- Emergency: If you or someone you know is experiencing an emergency, please dial 9-1-1
- Suicide Support: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline | (800) 273-8255
- Domestic Violence Services: Partners for Peace | (800) 863-9909 (hotline)
- (207) 564-8166 (non-emergency)
- Sexual Assault Services: Rape Response Services | (800) 871-7741
Health Care Resources:
If you are experiencing an emergency, please dial 9-1-1. For other non-emergency medical needs, contact local health care providers at:
- Millinocket Regional Hospital | (207) 723-5161
- Katahdin Valley Health Center | (866) 366-5842
- Health Access Network | (207) 794-6700
- Houlton Regional Hospital | (207) 532-2900
General Assistance is a program run by the State of Maine and is available in every Maine town. It is a resource that helps those without other means to pay for basic necessities like food, utilities and rent. To apply for General Assistance, call the town office in the town where you are a resident and schedule an appointment with the General Assistance coordinator. Frequently asked questions about general assistance.
- Town of Millinocket Lori Santerre, firstname.lastname@example.org, (207) 723-7010
- Town of East Millinocket Angela Cote, email@example.com, (207) 746-3376
- Town of Medway Kathy Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org, (207) 746-9531
- Town of Patten email@example.com, (207) 528-2215
- Town of Sherman General Assistance: (207) 365-4260
- Eastern Area Agency on Aging | (207) 941-286
- I Care Ministries (Millinocket) | (207) 447-1603
- Tri Town Baptist Food Pantry (East Millinocket) | (207) 251-8674
- UVEC Food Pantry (Sherman) | (207) 365-7631
- Patten Food Cupboard (Patten) | (207) 731-4055
- Agape Food Pantry (Island Falls) | (207) 463-2183
Rent & Utilities Assistance
Your local General Assistance department can help with rent and utilities, but here are some other relevant programs:
- Maine Housing Emergency Rent Assistance Program (800) 452-4668
- Penquis Emergency Rental Assistance Program (800) 452-4668 penquis.org/emergency-rental-assistance. An application is available at: www.mainehousing.org/covidrent
- Penquis Heating Assistance Program (HEAP) Lincoln (207) 794-3093 or Bangor (207) 973-3500
- Mobilize Katahdin uses our network of volunteer drivers to provide rides to anyone in the Katahdin region. Advance notice is requested. Call (207) 370-1581 to request a ride.
- Penquis provides transportation services throughout Penobscot and Piscataquis counties. Rides are free for qualifying individuals, but anyone can use their service for a small fee. Ride requests must be made 3 days in advance. Learn more on their website or give them a call at (207) 973-3695 or (866) 853-5969. (Katahdin region residents may be eligible for free rides through Penquis Transportation courtesy of Age-Friendly Millinocket).
For free legal guidance, contact the Volunteer Lawyers Project, visit Pine Tree Legal’s website or call Pine Tree Legal at (207) 942-8241 (Penobscot/Piscataquis/Waldo Counties) or (207) 764-4349 (Aroostook County).
- During tax season, you can pick up federal 1040 booklets and forms at Millinocket Memorial Library.
- To order Maine income tax forms and have them mailed to your home, fill out this quick form on the Maine Revenue Service website.
- You can also view and print the forms on the IRS website.
- AARP offers free tax preparation at the Millinocket Nazarene Church. Call for more information at (207) 746-7669.
- To find another AARP tax preparation site near you, call (888) 227-7669.
- Penquis/United Way offers a free tax preparation service called Eastern Maine CASH for qualifying individuals. Learn more by dialing 211 or on their website.
- For one-on-one assistance connecting with the unemployment office, call or email Kevin Gregory from Eastern Maine Development Corporation at (207) 746-9608 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get connected to classes and opportunities via Katahdin Higher Education Center (207-746-5741)
- A guide to applying for unemployment benefits in Maine
- For assistance appealing an unemployment claim decision, contact the Volunteer Lawyers Project.
- Request a free device or take a class through the National Digital Equity Center of Maine
- Learn about the Affordable Broadband Program and see if you qualify for help with your internet bill
- Take an in-person digital literacy class at Millinocket Memorial Library or at Veterans’ Memorial Library (Patten)
- Public access computers, printing, scanning, and faxing are available at: Millinocket Memorial Library and Veterans’ Memorial Library (Patten)